Drawing to a Perfect Pair - Scott GS 773 and Sage ONE 482

When I leave the house to spend a day on home waters, I usually take a pair of fly rods...in event the stream conditions change or for when I move to another stream. And, when deciding which rods to pack for the day, I like to "draw" out a pair with similar personalities and action (mostly).

Well, I almost titled this post The Odd Couple, but thought better of it and continued the ongoing theme with Drawing To A Perfect Pair. I never imagined it, but after fishing these two rods for the past few years, I discovered they pair up very nicely. The Scott GS 773 and Sage Little ONE 482 make a nice pairing for the little creeks up on home waters and further up in northern New Mexico and Colorado.

My old first generation Sage Click reels are in process of a change in fly lines, to support these two rods in 2023. These reels are large arbor for faster winding of fly line, and there is an adjustable drag...not much drag being a click drag, but enough for those leetle fellers that I seek to bring into the net.

After some line experimentation, I've learned the benefit of running two different lines on the Scott GS 773. When I'm fishing a couple of tiny Rios up on Rainy Mountain, I use a Rio Perception WF3F line. And, when I have that rod on a certain freestone stream that I absolutely love to fish, I use a Rio LightLine WF3F line. It's just that one line (Perception) works better for close in work, while the other line (LightLine) works nicely when I'm making longer casts through the day. Yeah, I could use either line for all situations, but the two do have better effectiveness on their respective streams.

The best line I've found for the Sage ONE 482 is the Rio Perception WF4F line. It doesn't matter what stream I'm fishing, the Perception is a great fit for this rod. There is one particular stream up in Colorado that this ONE 482 is a perfect fit...I wouldn't think of using any other rod on that stream. It's a natural there.

Click on photo for larger view

Comments

Popular Posts