Better Than Fast

Yeah, this rod isn't fast. It's better than fast. Better than any of the latest and greatest fast rods we see coming out of the big rod companies today. And, it's better on my tiny mountain Rios than any glass rod too. Yup, it's a little creek rod made from IM6 graphite that is one of the best classic rod models ever made. Ever!

I'm talking about the Winston IM6 6'6" 2wt fly rod, and it is one of those classics that can't be improved upon. I know that's my opinion, but I don't see how any rod in this length and line weight could perform better than this rod, of any blank material. This rod is that good. The action is perfect for tiny mountain creeks. It's light in the hand. Can land a dry fly as soft as you are skilled. A progressive taper that is sensitive, but no wussy. Yeah I'll say it, "it's the best you can do for a fly rod in this class."

The thing is, it's a bit risky to fish it. Because the chances of being able to replace it if I happen to break it is slim at best, and would take years to locate another one. At my age, I could be dead before I find one. This rod was made in 1996 and Winston doesn't accept custom orders for WT rods anymore. Actually, since this IM6 rod was built when Loomis supplied them blanks, even a factory WT rod wouldn't be exactly the same, even if they agreed to build me this model. So, yeah, it mostly only goes out to fish in the safest of places, on rare occasions. But when I am on a Rio with it, it's glorious.

What reel do I use with this amazing rod? The Winston Perfect 2 7/8" reel is the current reel of choice and makes for a natural pairing of rod and reel. Yeah, when I'm packing this classic gear into the truck for a day on a high altitude Rio, I'm full of anticipation with what's to happen on my mountain...cold streams, dry flies, and tight lines with wild trout. The ultimate 2wt fly rod.

Click on photo for larger view

Comments

Popular Posts