Before The Rain

Last Tuesday's fishing was so much fun, I decided to go fishing again today. Not too early, though. I went up to a nice little Rio to fish the afternoon hatch, and oh my, it was so relaxing with several trout landing into the bottom of my net. A good day.

I fished up to about mid-afternoon and was having a lot of fun playing with the Leetle Fellers. I would have stayed longer if those two black clouds hadn't rolled over the mountain top and settled over the valley floor. The fish were just getting active when patters of rain began smacking my hat. I caught about three more trout in a light rain and then decided to call it a day.

Yeah, it rained on me all during the hike back to the truck. However, the rain felt good as I walked the road, getting soaked. It didn't matter because I got into some trout. Not just any trout. Rio Grande Cutthroats. No, they were not wild cutts, but hatchery-raised. I don't care...it was blast catching them on a dry fly. If someone had come along and saw me breaking down my gear, they would have known I had a good fishing day. I caught myself whistling while putting away the gear and changing into a dry shirt.

For some reason I decided this morning to fish a glass rod. It has been a while since I've rigged up some fiberglass, so I pulled out my very first glass fly rod. It's an Orvis Superfine 7' 3wt model in a three-piece configuration. I fished that rod a whole bunch in its day. Yeah, it was time to pull it out of the closet along with the Orvis CFO fly reel I always locked into the rod. Dang, I sure had fun fishing this old rod...it was a good pick.

Gear: Orvis Superfine glass fly rod; Orvis CFO II (Abel made) fly reel; Rio Grand WF3F; Patagonia sling pack; Orvis landing net; Black Ant and Elk Hair Caddis dry flies.

Comments

Popular Posts