Rainy Days!

The rainfalls this week have been very refreshing, especially when fly fishing up in high country. Steve and I have been getting an early morning start the past four days to get in some fishing between spotty rainfalls. Yeah, the air has been soupy wet with clouds floating into the sides of the mountains. I enjoyed pulling to the side of a few roads for mountain-top views down into valleys covered with clouds.

We visited a few mountain Rio's the past four days. I've always enjoyed fishing these little Rio's through the years, and selected these streams to get Steve onto some new trout waters. It was fun. One day, I took a break from fishing and set up a chair overlooking a beautiful valley, with a meandering little creek, and watched Steve work the stream. Yeah, sometimes a perfect day doesn't involve rigging up a rod, and Wednesday was one of them for me. I was totally in the moment with the environment, and loved listening to the sounds of the woods while appreciating the surrounding beauty.

We ended the week of fishing where we began, and it was a beautiful day. The last day was the only day we fished when there was no rain. I've never seen mountain air as clean as today. The visibility was incredible. Best of all, we both got into trout today that made for a great end to our week's adventures.

I fished three Winston rods through four days of floating dry flies: Winston Pure 8' 4wt; Winston WT 7' 3wt; and a Winston AIR 7'6" 3wt. Unfortunately, I broke the tip section on my WT 7' 3wt fly rod...urgh! I sure hope Winston will be willing to repair this old classic rod. It's a great rod for many of the streams up on Rainy Mountain, and it would be a shame if it can't be repaired. I'll give RL Winston a call next Monday...with crossed fingers.

Comments

  1. Broken tip- Sorry to read about the rod, maybe Winston can build you a new tip section. Hopefully they have the blanks sitting around the shop??? I have read that Orvis does not retain the older superfine blanks anymore. One of the reasons that (for the rods I favor) I try to find another rod to serve as a spare just in case I break one.
    Maybe a Winston dealer or ebay or facebook marketplace, you can find another? Worth a shot.
    If I see one for sale, I will reach out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When Winston announced they would no longer offer WT rods, I bought a new WT 7' 3wt model for my little Rio's. It was so good, I bought a used WT 7' 3wt as a back-up and workhorse rod. The back-up rod is the one I broke. Not sure what I'll do if Winston can't fix this rod. Probably cry. Yeah, if you see one, please let me know.

      Delete
    2. Of Note: I just got off of the phone with RL Winston, and they will repair the rod. To say I'm thrilled would be an understatement...

      Delete
    3. That was some nighttime rain I don't see often. Over 1.0" a night. 50+ lightning strikes flashing my hotel room one night. Yet we fished some great days. Wonderful times. Thanks mike.

      Delete
    4. It was great having you here for some fishing, Steve. We are getting a massive ground soak as I write this, and it's giving me some hope for saving some streams in the area.

      Delete
  2. Mike, I'm glad they're offering to repair your sweet little 7 footer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...it's been shipped to Montana for repair, thank goodness.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts