Winston WT 8' 4wt

The Winston WT 8' 4wt model is a versatile fly rod for a good variety of stream types here in the Southwest. It can handle big trout on large streams, and yet has the action to play the Leetle Fellers with the sensitivity and feel I appreciate on small to medium-sized streams. The action is pretty much the same as my WT 7'6" 4wt rod, but can casts further just due to its longer length. I can take it just about anywhere and fish it, except on trout streams with tight canopy.

Like most anglers, my fishing situations involve casts of less than 60 feet, usually far shorter. I prefer to work myself as close to a trout as possible, which is easier to make delicate presentations than when I'm casting to a sipping trout at long distance. With the WT progressive taper, this fly rod performs nicely in close, yet is very capable of longer casts when needed. And for me, this model is a medium action rod with a smooth touch and feel. It’s impressive!

This WT 8' 4wt fly rod is part of a three rod quiver I pack for fishing adventures along our border with Colorado. I roll back and forth between the two states on dirt roads where there are streams made for these three WT rods. The 8' 4wt resides between my IM6 7'6" 3wt, and WT 8'6" 5wt for a rod quiver to handle any stream where I fish throughout the region.

Comments

Popular Posts