Winston WT 8'6" 4wt

My first WT fly rod was a 8'6" 4wt rod acquired fifteen years ago, and the first stream I fished with it was in northern New Mexico on a Wild and Scenic River. Since then, it has fished trout streams all over New Mexico, and often gets rigged up to fool paranoid trout.

The rod has a bit more flex in its action than any other WT rod model I own and fish. However, I've been told mine is the preferred 3-piece model over the earlier 2-piece rod configuration. The 2-piece model is sometimes described as a little whippy by their owners...not having the opportunity to cast a 2-piece rod, I'll have to go by other's reports.

For my personal rod, I find a true-to-weight fly line is smooth and easy to cast out to fifty five feet. I rarely fish to that length on my rivers. It's just that I don't buy fly rods to hit home runs, and instead I'll work to get as close as possible to my intended target, for landing softer presentations with a dry fly.

The best part about a Winston WT rod is its ability to keep a trout from throwing the hook. I've netted lots of healthy trout with this rod on a couple of rivers, including the San Juan River, with some in the twenty-three-inch range. With that genius tip taper, it also keeps fishing exciting when bringing in the Leetle Fellers too.

Comments

  1. My first WT was also the 8'6" 4wt 3 piece, although I built that one out from a blank. It has served me well since 2006!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet that is one beautiful build, Ben! Every time I land a big one with mine, I'm reminded about the rod's sneaky power...surprises me each time. Next time we meet, please share the streams you have fished with your WT 486. Surely our rods have seen some of the same streams....

      Delete
    2. I"m sure we have been on the same streams too!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts