NM Trout Grand Slam

Last week I was fortunate to complete a fly fishing goal I had set in the beginning of the year. When that Brookie Trout slid into my landing net, my "Grand Slam" goal was achieved. For those new to my blog, I consider the successful catch and release of all five New Mexico trout species as a New Mexico Trout Grand Slam accomplishment. And I was lucky to achieve that personal prize last week.

As I began writing this post, I realized this is the first time I've landed all five species of trout with rods from the same series...the Winston WT rod series to be specific. The exact WT rod model that landed each trout is as below:

  1. Brown Trout - Winston WT 7'6" 4wt fly rod.
  2. Gila Trout - Winston WT 7' 2wt fly rod.
  3. Rainbow Trout - Winston WT 7' 2wt fly rod.
  4. Rio Grande Cutthroat Trout - Winston WT 8' 4wt fly rod.
  5. Brook Trout - Winston WT 8'6" 4wt fly rod.

I find setting  a few measurable goals for each year's trout season can be a nice way to create motivation and excitement for new adventures. Something to look forward to each year. Another goal I achieved this year was to land an Apache Trout in Arizona, thanks to my buddy, Steve! No, it had nothing to do with the Slam, but was a bonus trout species that got checked off of my "bucket list" of things to do. 

Comments

  1. Awesome mike. Great pics of your grand slam. I should try that here in arizona.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steve! Yeah, you should give it a go...it puts some fun into the fishing year.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts