Monsoon Sky

 Sylvia checked the forecast early this morning and suggested we depart earlier than usual to fish home waters. The weather app forecast rain and flash floods at 1:00 p.m. this afternoon. It took two seconds for me to grab a rod and a reel...and out the door we went. How she had time to pack a picnic lunch, I don't know?

We started trekking down the stream-side trail and were immersed in the sunshine, and the sound of silence...but for the rushing sound of the mountain creek. I was casting a dry fly in the usual spots as we made our way deeper into the wooded area, but to be honest, the casting was just a way to kill time before we arrived in the area where wild browns lived and roamed.

Sylvia found a shady spot among the pines to open the camp chair and a book, while I trekked on to locate the Leetle Fellers. I had a Black Beetle dry fly on my line to start the morning off, and the Brownies were hitting it quite frequently as I worked the stream. The splashes over my fly were the loudest sounds I heard as I fished the meandering creek through a beautiful meadow.

I'm always amazed at how quickly storm clouds can build at this high-altitude location. When we first arrived, the sky was totally clear and bright blue. Then a few cumulus clouds began floating over our heads, and before long they grew larger while merging with dark storm clouds. That's when I turned around to work the stream back to where Sylvia was enjoying her book in the woods. Yeah, it was time for us to have some lunch before the rains came pouring down on us.

It was a wonderful morning, and there isn't anything I would rather be doing. Yup, life is good!

Gear: Winston WT 7' 2wt fly rod; Bauer SST3 fly reel; Orvis Superfine WF2F fly line; Patagonia sling pack; Wayward landing net; Black Beetle dry fly.

Comments

Popular Posts