Brookie Action
What a beautiful day to four-wheel up a mountain for a chance to slide some Brookie Trout into my net, and achieve my New Mexico Trout Grand Slam. When I arrived mid-morning, it was partly cloudy in the sixties with a slight breeze. Dang, it is beautiful up here at high altitude! And I felt lucky.
I noticed winged insects of some type flying, and floating on the surface, but too far out from the bank for me to identify the species. So I tied on an Elk Hair Caddis to see if it had any magic. Yup, the fly fooled a pretty Brookie right away, and as soon as the trout slid into my net, I completed my prized Slam! I fished a few more hours, landed more trout, and then left when the wind picked up and the clouds turned dark.
With the New Mexico Trout Grand Slam recorded in my journal, I celebrated and ordered Chile Relleno for dinner at Doc Martin's later that evening. I had dessert too, in concert with a relaxing patter of rain adding to this angler's satisfaction...life is good.
Gear: Winston WT 8'6" 4wt fly rod; Bauer SST4 fly reel; Rio LightLine WF4F line; Patagonia sling pack; Wayward landing net; Elk Hair Caddis dry fly.


Excellent, congrats!!! You are living a charmed life my friend. Nice brookie. Beautiful country.
ReplyDeleteI knew the first day I moved here, this is where I'll stay...still feel that way. Thanks, John! We don't have many places where Brook Trout swim, but they sure are pretty, and worth the effort to go visit them!
DeleteNice brookie mike. Congratulations on the nm grand slam. Great looking high mtn reservoir.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Steve...the Brookies would bore down toward the bottom in attempt to lose the hook. It was a nice day up at high altitude, and completing the slam made the day pretty special. They sure are a pretty species!
Delete