Winston IM6 7'6" 3wt

This rod has been in a few posts here on DryFlyNM blog. Why? Because it's just so darn good to fish on a Rio. I say fish because this rod is more than how most anglers describe a fly rod. The rod not only casts a smooth line for dry fly presentations, but manages trout on a tight line better than any rod I own. Yeah, my IM6 3wt rod does it all for me on small stream fishing. I rigged it up a while back to enjoy fishing in our fall season temps, and I was reminded once again, just how special this rod is to fish.

I stepped into the stream and on my second cast saw the trout splash on my elk hair caddis with the line going tight. Yeah, you got to love it, getting rid of any chance for a skunky day on your second cast. Nothing but relaxed fun after that, because there's no more pressure...and, I know those wild browns will be looking up for a bite. I say that because I usually have a great day with lots of action when fishing starts off like this. And this was confirmed after landing another two fish within five minutes of entering the stream.

When I'm fishing home waters up on Rainy Mountain, I usually fish two or three different streams in multiple locations. This time, I just stayed on the same stream location and slow fished every spot I knew had good fish potential. It was a good day....

It's amazing how stable this rod is for old technology and how good it recovers on a cast. I say old technology because it was made in 1997. The rod is a three piece and is a touch firmer than my two piece IM6 7'6" 3wt rod. It has more power than you would think for a 3wt rod, yet the tip's taper is genius when it comes to managing a trout on a tight line. Tom designed this rod with fishing in mind, and not just casting like we see in many of today's fly rods. It's iconic...absolutely!

Click on photo for larger view

Comments

Popular Posts