Kind of Frisky

With bamboo rod in hand, it was a solitary stroll along canyon streams. Yeah, every now and then I would send a dry fly across the water to land near a dimple in the stream. Let it float a short distance and watch as the leetle fellers crashed upon it. Loved it!

Ben, of Flat Creek Rods, repaired this bamboo rod a few weeks ago. Last year, I was breaking the rod apart and notice a wrap had slid off of a guide foot. As always, he did a fabulous job to get me back on a stream with this bamboo stick...a 6'11" 3wt that is lively, fun, and feels about as authentic as can be on a trout stream. Something about bamboo rods. I don't know. They are very sweet when fishing a dry fly.

I was entertained all day with frisky wild browns swirling and splashing in different parts of the mountain creeks. Yeah, spawning is definitely happening on the gravel beds up on the mountain. I had fun watching them get all excited. Nope, I didn't throw any flies where this activity was going on, but fished the deeper runs only and stayed out of their bedroom. A good day, I would say with a light bamboo fly rod.

Gear: Bamboo 6'11" 3wt fly rod; Hardy Featherweight fly reel; Rio LightLine WF3F line; Simms sling pack; Brodin landing net.

Click on photo for larger view

Comments

  1. That's a really sweet fly rod. I'm glad you got a great repair for it. Those are some nice fishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This time of year brings out the big guys. I saw a couple of browns going nuts that must have been 14 inches...only see these guys that size during the spawning period up on this particular Rio.

      The 3wt bamboo rod sure is fun, but like I told Ben when I picked it up from his repair, bamboo tends to have maintenance issues. Guess that's one reason I like graphite rods...very few things can go wrong outside of slamming a truck door on one. I certainly haven't caused a 'set' with a graphite tip.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts