Orvis ZG Helios 3wt Rod

I'm fortunate to have this ZG Helios 3wt fly rod, which is part of the second generation series of Helios rods. So you know, this rod is very special to me because it was a surprise wedding gift from my wife. As an 8'4" 3wt model, it is pretty much perfect for meadow streams and midsize rivers. It's the longest 3wt rod I own and is a beautiful casting rod to help make a day of fishing relaxing and enjoyable. The rod originally had gold hardware over a maroon fiber reel seat that didn't quite fit my eye...so, I upgraded the reel seat with a Bellinger sliding band model. Ben, of Flat Creek Rods replaced the reel seat for me...he did a fabulous job, and the rod now has the desired aesthetic to match the rod's performance for fly fishing adventures in the Southern Rockies.

There's only a couple of streams up on Rainy Mountain this rod fits for unencumbered fly fishing. For me, anyway. And, I'm looking forward to fishing it again for spooky wild brown trout. The Orvis ZG Helios has a faster, firmer rod action than my classic Winstons, but is a delight to fish because of its mid-flex design. It casts easily from in close to distances over forty feet, no problem. For my purposes, it is a small stream special in those open meadows where a longer rod length is a benefit.

Below photos illustrate the rod's transition from the factory's flashy gold bling to a more serious aesthetic that I prefer in my fly rods. Thanks much, Ben. It's a beautiful conversion job!

NOTE: I learned recently that the owners of the Genuine Bellinger company are retiring. Their website says McFarland Rod Company will take over ownership and management out of McFarland's current Pennsylvania business location. The Bellinger reel seats that were offered through the past 20 years were the most classy, elegant, finest craftsmanship I could find for my rods.

Click on photo for larger view

Comments

  1. Very cool. I’ve never heard of a ZG Helios, but I’ve only really been familiar with Orvis for about 10 years. I was chatting on Instagram with an Orvis endorsed guide in the Driftless, and he told me that his preferred rod is the new Helios 8’4” 3wt. Recently I’ve been allowed into the Orvis Pro Program where I can get discounts on the new Helios. I’ve noticed they have a 7’6” 2wt. I’m thinking that could be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, congratulations on the Pro Program...I won't whine about us common folk who have to pay full retail. The 8'3" 3wt is a nice rod, indeed, and I would think that length would be pretty much perfect for the driftless. I have three 2wt rods in different lengths, fished a 7' 2wt yesterday and had a blast with the leetle fellers.

      Delete
  2. Just simply beautiful. An heirloom...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John! The rod always fished great, but now has a bit of class. I like it much better...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts