LL Bean Silver Guide Reels

A vintage click/pawl reel from the L.L. Bean company...the Silver Guide Reel made by Hardy in England. The reel is similar to the Hardy Marquis Reels, but with a different spring and pawl design. The Silver Guide reel has one spring and pawl while the Marquis reel has two. The drag on both reels work just fine, but I perceive the Marquis's drag having a bit more range and strength.

I've been told Scientific Anglers was the first to introduce this 'Hardy Made' reel design with Hardy eventually launching their own Hardy Marquis reel version. The L.L. Bean Silver Guide reel came at some point after. Sorry, I don't have specific launch dates of these reels. If you know, please send me a note with the information and I'll update the post. Some differences I've observed between the three reels:

- Reel foot is polished on the Marquis and SA, while the LL Bean are not.
- Spool rim is polished on the Marquis and SA, while the LL Bean are not.
- Spool latch cover on Marquis is silver, SA is black, LL Bean is silver.
- Line guard on Marquis is nickel silver, SA is plated plastic, LL Bean has no line guard. 

Whenever I acquire a vintage piece of gear, there usually is a surprise of one kind or another. With this LL Bean Silver Guide reel, I discovered something very satisfying, beyond getting an old classic click/pawl reel at a crazy low price. The surprise? Well, I discovered the spools from Hardy Marquis and Scientific Anglers System reels fit the LL Bean Guide Reel perfectly, which is great. Yup, the Silver Guide 5/6 Reel's dimensions are exactly the same as my Hardy Marquis #6 reel...and, the SA System #6 reel. No, I don't own a SA System Reel, but do have a SA System spool that I have been using as an extra with my Marquis reel...and, it will get used on the Guide reel as well. Eventually. The reel will get lined and go into action this fall. I'll be able to fish it with 4, 5, and 6 weight fly rods.

I researched all the sites I know and couldn't find much information on production or notable history with this vintage LL Bean reel. However, I did find photos of the Silver Guide Reel manual on one of my many searches...those are attached below. Having available the reel's manual is very helpful, especially since it includes instruction on how to change left or right winding preferences for owners of this fine reel.


Click on photo for larger view

Comments

Popular Posts