Rocky Mountain High

I've been on a natural high the last few days up in Colorado, enjoying the high altitude on a trout stream with a fly rod in hand. Throwing a dry fly to a pocket of water, that looks just right for a trout to be holding and feeding the day away. Boom, the hit on a dry fly never gets old. Zing, the sound of the reel from him taking off always gets the excitement racing! Oh, what a good three days in the Rocky Mountains...

I met Rich at a campsite around noon on the first day. We took some time to recover from a few hours of driving...and, it felt great to not be rolling on a highway. After our camp became a reality with canopies and kitchen, we rigged up the rods and started out to do what we came here for....fly fishing. Once the clouds started covering the sun, we got into a few trout. For the days we were in this location, the fishing was slow, but there were trout into the nets....enough to call it a good trip.

On the last day, Rich and I said our goodbyes and while he departed for home, I explored a new area of Colorado, for me that is. The landscapes were quite beautiful. And, I enjoyed a drive over a dirt forest road that meandered underneath the high peaks of the mountain range. I was able to get into the stream for about three hours of fly fishing. But, the approaching storm said to leave before it got nasty. Good thing I did. While at camp, the lightening bolts were hitting close, so close, the boom of thunder was in sync with constant big bolts of lightening shooting straight to the ground. I've never heard thunder that loud in my life. I'm going with the story that the storm was so violent, the trout knew to go into hiding because I didn't get one trout into my net. Yup, that's my story because that stream looked so fishy to me, it had to be the storm's fault that I didn't land one trout there. Still a fabulous day. Heck, I was in the beautiful Rocky Mountains!

Gear: Winston TMF and Scott GS 7'6" 3wt; Hardy LRH and Ross Colorado; Dry Flies only; Simms sling pack; Fisknat carbon landing net.

Click on photo for larger view

Comments

Popular Posts