Pages Of Time #I

My collection of Winston catalogs have been helpful for me to better understand the history and design philosophy of Winston's various fly rod series through the years. Having a formal education in commercial art and first career out of college in graphic design helps me to appreciate design and layout with print publications. I'm still a fan of fine art and wander through New Mexico art galleries as much as possible.

One of my favorite catalogs from Winston is the 2007 publication, represented by the attached photo of a WT reel seat (top photo). Also included, a select page out of four other Winston catalogs from the past. I identified one page from five different catalog years, based on either information of particular note or purely for its graphic appeal to me. Going forward, a 'Pages of Time' post will be published monthly for the next twelve months. The Winston catalog years from top of page to bottom are: 2007, 1989, 2000, 2002, 1998, 

Click on photo for larger view

Post Note: The black and white photo above is from the 2000 catalog. It's easy to miss, but the rod is an IM6 Joan Wulff Favorite with a Winston Perfect reel locked in...both available in this respective year. The model in the photo is a female, and if you happen to know her name, please send me a note. I'm guessing the photographer used a Winston employee for this photo. Or, maybe it's Joan herself?

Comments

  1. We had a fly shop on the Housatonic River that was a Winston dealer. I took one of their catalogs back to my camp and read through it while waiting for the evening hatch. There was a hand written piece in the catalog that read: "In the uncertainty of todays world, many of us are searching for a sense of comfort, a place where our spirits are raised and everything is right again. For many of us a favorite fishing spot provides this solace. I did not keep the catalog but I did keep the page with this wonderful view of why we fish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly is true for me, John. Those days I'm on the mountain fishing a Rio is soothing to my soul. Thing is, I must 'be in the moment' with my surroundings, for that sense of comfort to enter into me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts