Colorado 3 Pack

When I leave the house to spend a few days camping and fishing somewhere in the Southern Rockies, I usually pack three fly rods...one each in a different weight class and/or length. As for which rods to pack for the trip, I like to select a trio with similar personalities and action (mostly) that will work on any of the streams in the surrounding area of the camp.

I have plans for a fishing trip into Colorado next month with a local friend and fishing buddy, to fish for some beautiful trout in the southern part of the state. And, I will be packing a quiver of rods that will be a nice fit for this area. I know this is true because this quiver has been there before, and why they will be visiting these streams with me.

Sage 7'6" 3wt - this is the most powerful 3wt rod I own and is getting packed for good reason. Yup, it can zing some line out to distance when needed. Not many 3wt fly rods can match this rod in view of casting distance. Not any I own and fish, anyway.

Sage Little ONE 8'2" 4wt - I've said this before, in my opinion the best rod Sage has designed. This rod knows the stream we'll be fishing and will get the lion's share of time on the water. The "It Factor" is built into this rod and it's a blast to fish! I'm going to rig the Little ONE up for a section of stream with lots of boulders and pocket water. I've fished the rod here before, and know it's a perfect length and action for the trout that live there.

MBR 9' 4wt - the most unique production rod in my rod rack, and it can cast a soft line to picky trout with some good distance. There is a long, flat, slow water section in the stream I'll be fishing, where this rod will get to show its stuff. Because the trout are spooky there, I need this rod's length to reach the trout without them noticing my movement.

Click on photo for larger view

Comments

  1. Yeah, you're probably thinking that MBR doesn't cast like a Sage. Correct. It is a medium action rod, but for some reason it fits with these two rods? For the big stream, it works like a dream...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts