The Sliding Band - Winston

I mostly focus on Winston fly rods that were factory built from 1989 to the present. And, I have only seen two types of sliding band hardware during this period of Winston's history. The pocketed butt caps are pretty much the same, with some nuance differences in the cap's length that I see on rods occasionally. However, the most notable difference in this type of reel seat is the sliding band. The factory rods during the IM6 launch and through the 1990's have a flat sliding band made of German Silver. At some point, the sliding band changed to a more rounded wedding band design with diagonal furled edges.

Wouldn’t you love to know the story behind the change from one design to the other? I would. If anyone knows, please share with me. I'm guessing the flat sliding band ceased being offered as an option when Winston launched the WT rod series in 2001. It's difficult to know because the Winston catalogs don't give a clear clue on when the change took place.

You will also notice Winston used various designs with grip checks on their down locking seats, but the distinct difference in the two types of sliding bands is what collectors notice right away. Which one do I find more pleasing? I don't know. Truly. I find both designs quite appealing and classy. You've heard me say this before, I wish Winston still offered reel seats with a down-locking option, especially in the light trout rod models.

Click on photo for larger view

Comments

  1. The very nice wedding band slider is awesome but the flat sliding band matches the flat butt cap very well. The butt cap on the other just has a small knurl to match. Interesting question that I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The two sliding band designs were the most consistent pieces of reel seat hardware during the IM6/WT production years...grip checks and butt cap plates varied more widely it seems, mostly in the knurling designs, as you noticed. I liked the more rounded knurling of yesterday's rods versus today's hardware. Today, the knurling edges are noticeably more sharp and edgy.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts