One Of Those Days

I decided this morning to forget about house projects and get up on the mountain...yeah, I was needing some stream time. I was a little concerned the sky may be too bright per the forecast, but there were clouds in the sky up at altitude, and that made for some nice fishing today.

The Leetle Fellers came out and took my dry fly in enough numbers that it felt like a good day. It was all brown trout and I didn't see a single sucker fish all day. That's how I like it, by the way. I'm thinking the spawning activity last fall was productive, just by observing the number and weight of the small trout I was seeing in the stream. This stream will be fishing quite nicely this coming fall...

All of the hikers I came across were friendly and far enough away from the stream that I didn't notice them all that much. One of them must have forgotten their fixed blade knife they stuck in a downed tree trunk during their trek. I had just netted a trout and released it when I noticed it in the corner of my eye. It was sticking straight up from the log and I was surprised it was still there. Guess I'm the only angler in that spot today to see it. Yeah, I took it home, to keep kids hiking through the area safe.

And, speaking of safe...when I got back to the truck, I picked up some bad news on text. My grandson had a wreck on his bike and was in the ER for a broken arm, broken jaw, and a few stitches as well. He's going to be okay my wife told me...but he can only eat soft food for a couple of weeks and then the docs will assess if he can get by without surgery to the jaw. Sadly, I gave him that mountain bike just last week. Oh man, I feel bad for him. After this, I've decided I will not be giving him a car...nope, I'm not taking a chance with him getting into a car wreck and getting hurt. His parents will need to provide a car for him when he turns of age. I'm not going there. Dang it I'm feeling bad!!!!! I know he's a tough kid, but still...I gave him the bike.

Yeah, it's been one of those days, well one of those weeks, actually. At least the queen bee that settled into our garage wall a few days ago has been relocated to another home. I know, I know, I'm trying to look at something good that has happened this past week. Well, I did catch some trout today. And, my boy will be okay, after some healing time. Yup, one of those days.

Gear: Winston IM6 7'6" 3wt fly rod; Abel TR2 fly reel; SA Mastery Trout DT3F fly line; Black Ant and Black Caddis dry flies; Simms sling pack.

Click on photo for larger view

Comments

Popular Posts