A Mellow Day

Yeah, today was pretty mellow up on the mountain...Rich and I were drifting a dry fly in some pretty ideal water flows. The morning was very nice with cool temps and party cloudy skies. I started out with a quick catch of a brown trout. No, I didn't get the photo of my first catch like I usually do. For some reason, while the brown trout was in my net, I removed the hook before taking a photo. You guessed it, the trout jumped out of the net before I could pull my iPhone out for a photo. I knew better...but, I made up for it later in the day.

After that first catch, the sun came out and blazed its sunshine on the stream. It was hot! That made for some work to find the trout and entice them to take a fly. Fishing was pretty slow until around 1:30pm when the caddis began to take flight and we had some shadows over the stream. Then, the trout began rising and the action picked up somewhat. Rich and I had some tight lines, missed some hook sets, and lost a few during the fight to the net. Yup, it was a good day.

I found myself sitting in the camp chair by the stream for almost as much time as I fished. The day was very relaxing and mellow. I needed mellow. Nothing better than a slow, relaxing day of fishing....

Gear: Winston WT 7' 3wt fly rod; Hardy Featherweight fly reel; Rio LightLine WF3F fly line; Simms sling pack; #12 Black Elk Hair Caddis dry fly.

Click on photo for larger view

Comments

  1. Nice looking trout..and ale. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Steve! The ale went down smoothly on the mountain...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Steve, I liked that ale. Thanks for giving some to Mike and thank you Mike for sharing!

      Delete
    2. It's a shame...no Blonde Ale in New Mexico.

      Delete
    3. I'll bring more next time.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts