All-Around 6wt Fly Rod - Winston WT

This isn't a topic you would expect from a dry fly only angler. However, there was a time the most important rod I wanted in my quiver was an all-around rod that could do anything I needed while fishing a trout river. Back in those days, I wanted a rod that could cast a small dry fly, dry/dropper, streamer, and even a double nymph rig under an indicator. The rod that did all of that the best for me...a Winston WT 9' 6wt fly rod. It truly is an all-around fly rod.

Yeah, I know most of today's anglers consider a 9' 5wt rod as the model that fits best in the all-around rod category. However, twenty and more years ago the all-around rod was a 6wt fly rod. This Winston WT 9' 6wt rod is more like a 5.5wt rod in how it casts and fishes, and is as fun as it gets on a trout river. And, while I only use this fabulous rod for dry fishing these days, it can handle those other types of fly rigs as well. I could stand in the middle of the river and when conditions called for a different fly set-up, this rod could handle it with ease, regardless of fly type or rig. It doesn't get much more versatile than this rod.

This rod is a beauty. It's a 3-piece model with an up-locking reel seat and walnut spacer that is a looker. Below is what Winston says about this WT model:

6-WEIGHT - A rod that can handle the wind without sacrificing any touch and feel. Ideal for streamer and nymph fishing, or casting bigger patterns like hoppers, damselflies and crickets.

Comments

  1. Ah, the venerable 6wt! The WT is a great series. I’m in the process of downsizing my rods and have come to realize a single 3, 4, 6, and 8wt will cover 99% of my fishing. the 4 & 6wt will see the most action.

    Along with that decision, I’ve gone with TMR rods. He really did know what he was doing. Kudos for reminding us of the versatile 6wt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yeah, Tom designed rods for the whole fishing experience, and not just casting. I've never had the opportunity to fish a TMR...someday, hopefully.

      There is a river up in southern Colorado where this rod gets a nod during the summer. It's not fished much these days, but sure is fun when I do get it out. Mostly, I fish 2 & 3wts during the year, with a 4wt getting a lot of action too.

      Delete
  2. Kudos on the 6 weight as a true all rounder. I would include a 7 as well. I spend most of my fish time chasing warm water species. Smallies (my favorite) largemouth, panfish, perch etc. a 6 or a 7 will cover all of the bases. I fished a 6 weight today for smallies. The wind made top water nearly impossible so having a 6 weight rigged with a full sinker line and a cone head wooly bugger was the ticket to bring a few fish to hand. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John...I bet a 7wt rod would be fun. A six weight rod is the heaviest I fish here in the southwest, and that's not too often. Yep, you have some diverse fish habitat which would keep the fishing pretty exciting, for sure!!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts