Why?

Why classic fly gear, that is...I've arrived to the point where fishing with classic fly gear brings me the most joy whenever I'm on a trout stream for a day. I'm not alone in this love of classic fly fishing, and I'm noticing many experienced anglers using older gear on their fly fishing trips...most visible are the guys who enjoy fishing bamboo rods I might add. However, vintage graphite rods are beginning to become popular as well, though very few anglers showcase their classic gear....and, that's one of the reasons I started this blog, with an emphasis on classic rods from the R.L. Winston Rod Company.

When I release a trout back into its waters, I sometimes wade to the bank, remove my sling pack for a brief rest, and consume a snack and drink of water. While I'm on break, I'll snap a photo of the gear I'm using, and a landscape shot of the stream. It's my way of documenting the fishing day with a focus on the gear, location, and the trout. My photo library is time-stamped so in effect, it is my fishing journal. It's on this blog where I put a few words to select photos from my fishing trips. Note: while not all of my fishing trips get published on my blog, most of them do wind up here.

Comments

  1. Skunkedalot aka John P.April 2, 2024 at 3:43 AM

    And I am glad you do! Agree, the old rods were and are simply the best. There are a couple of contenders but those rods are based on the glass of the 60's/70's and the graphites of the mid 70's to early 80's. I see a lot of Orvis vintage for sale but rarely Winstons around here. I think most are keeping theirs. Smart. Thanks for a great site. Pleasurable reading for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, John. With spring in the air, I sure am hoping for a good fishing year. And, those old rods will go along for the fun, for sure!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts