Remembering Brad - San Juan

I'm taking a little break this morning from a tile and grout project I'm in the middle of at home. And, planning a date for my annual memorial fishing trip to the San Juan River. It's a solitary fishing trip to remember my best friend and fishing buddy, Brad. We fished the Juan frequently each year and had much fun with tight lines and big trout under the Navajo Dam. Our trips were usually for three days of fishing and two nights at Abe's Motel and Fly Shop. I say it's a memorial trip because we lost Brad to cancer a few years ago.

We had a routine. As we were gearing up at the truck in the Texas Hole parking lot, Brad would tie two longneck beers together with a cord and drop them into the stream as we entered the water. The beers would be nice and cold at break time, and they were always where Brad had left them. We would sit on the bank, enjoy a cold beer, and rehash the fishing action of the day. No one was more laid back than Brad, and that's the way he fished as well...made for nice, lazy, summer day of fishing with no schedule, no expectations, and no stress. Just summer fun!

Back in those days, I often fished with an Orvis Henry's Fork 8'6" 5wt rod. It sucked with a San Juan indicator rig, but was a blast with a dry fly or dry/dropper. I plan to fish it for at least one day on this day of remembrance. The other rod I'll be rigging up is a MBR 9' 4wt rod that is incredibly sweet for a contemporary fly rod. They both have black unsanded blanks and will be nice companions. I'll also take along a Scott STS 9' 5wt rod as well...that's what Brad always fished with in those days...and, I expect his ghost will be with me out on the river.

Click on photo for larger view

Comments

  1. A wonderful tradition and a fitting tribute to your friend. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...he was a good guy!

      Delete
    2. I'll be looking forward to your trip report. Have a wonderful time.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Steve. I've had to push it out some...this tile job at the house is taking longer than I planned. However, I'll for sure have a report once I'm able.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts