Rio LightLine Fly Line

Within the communities of fly fishers I interact with, it seems to me that I'm the only one who sees the merits of Rio LightLine fly lines. I'm surprised actually. These lines load my classic graphite fly rods in an optimum way, making for very enjoyable fly fishing experiences in my mountain Rios. In my world of small streams and creeks, they are fantastic. I first started fishing with a LightLine about eight years ago, when I had a new Tibor Spring Creek reel spooled up with the line...it was part of a combination rod, reel, and line kit I got as an anniversary present. And, I have been using it ever since with several creek rods of mine.

In tight canopied creeks, I like low line speeds for short distances, to present the fly as softly as possible. In these tiny, gin clear mountain waters, a soft presentation with the a dry fly is mandatory, or the trout scoot away and hide in the under cut of a bank. Some of the glass guys will call these slow type of casts a 'sticky' cast. To me, it's like a slow motion cast that works so well. The LightLine is a great line for these soft and slow casts with a classic rod.

LightLine is fabulous for longer casts with classic graphite rods as well. I can throw tight loops when casting 20 to 55 feet with this line. Even though I can cast the entire line, that 20-55 length lets me fish just about any stream I like in the southwest. And, while the Rio company touts the line for glass, bamboo, and classic graphite rods, it works quite well on my 'fast' rods too....though, nobody believes that is so.

Click on photo for larger view

Comments

Popular Posts