Too Sexy

The newly built fly rod got christened into a trout stream today. I'm giving it the name, Sexy, because it is absolutely too sexy looking to fish...but I'm fishing it anyway. That's what fly rods are made for. To fish! And, this rod will get lot's of opportunities to have some tight-line fun with the Leetle Fellers.

I always wanted a custom rod built for me with a Winston blank tapered in the classical action of their IM6 rod series. My idea of a perfect rod was one with a name brand blank and components. And, I wanted a rod with no inscription or labels so it would have a sleek aesthetic that only the owner (me) would know about...those the intimate details of the rod's soul. Ben did a great job meeting my needs with this build and I was sure anxious to test it on a trout stream. I''m telling you, it exceeded all my expectations today!!!

Yeah, today was the day the rod would get its real world fishing test. It's February and the day was spring like with a 61 degree temperature and sunshine to warm the bones. That resulted in lots of bugs hovering over the stream which is what a dry fly guy likes to see. Yep, some browns and bows were coaxed into the net. Which, speaking of net...that Brodin with the upgraded catch and release basket got to see a trout steam and hug some trout for the first time as well today. The new old school rod and net got to play, and they were fabulous!

Gear: Custom Winston IM6 7'6" 4wt fly rod; Bauer SST4 reel; Rio LightLine fly line; Brodin 20" landing net.

Click on photo for larger view

Comments

Popular Posts