The Mystery Is Solved

Several years ago I purchased a Winston rod tube and sleeve for an old 8'6" rod that didn't have it's own tube. Upon receipt, I found a two-piece rod blank inside the tube, marked IM6 7 1/2 4wt on it, along with a preformed cork grip slipped onto the butt section. Since the seller was from New Orleans, I considered it a nice gesture of what they call "lagniappe" down there in the Crescent City. I know about lagniappe because I lived in New Orleans for a few years when I was employed with Cox Communications.

I didn't actually think it was a Winston blank, even with its rich, dark green color. However, after all these years of it sitting in a corner, I decided to have it built up for fishing, not knowing who manufactured the blank. I figured, the only way to find out if it's any good is to have it built up and fish it on some trout streams up on Rainy Mountain.

I asked Ben Casarez of Flat Creek Rods to build it out for me. He has done some very nice rod work for me in the past year and I knew he would know what to do with this stick. Soon after I handed the blank to Ben, he began researching who the maker might be. He took it to Bob Widgren, owner of  Custom Fly Rod Crafters/Los Pinos Rods, here in Albuquerque. After some inspection and comparing notes, Ben and Bob assessed it was an early Winston rod blank. Their clues for that assessment were how straight the rod tube was, no flaws, with a perfect spigot ferrule fit. And, at the end of the butt section, a wrap of masking tape denoting the rod model, IM6 7 1/2 4wt...typical Winston. Here's what's really interesting to me. Both experienced rod builders said you can feel the difference the moment you pick up a premium blank like a Winston versus others, especially in the tip section.

When I took receipt of the rod from Ben, I was amazed with the final product. Yeah, he made this rod so attractive it's bound to have some "trout magic" in it! As we were talking and admiring the build, I shared with him how the preformed grip was slipped onto the blank when I pulled it out of the tube upon its delivery to me, and that the grip was the exact grip on another custom Winston IM6 of mine. Ben then had an "ah-ha expression" on his face and said, "it could have been a Winston kit." At that moment, I looked at him and realized he had just then solved the mystery!

That grip is exactly like the grips on the two-piece Winston Light Trout rods from the early 90's. I'm now realizing, yeah, this could very well be a Winston rod blank. Another clue, it has that Winston feel and progressive flex those early IM6 rods are known for during a cast. And, now that's it's built, it doesn't seem like a mystery rod anymore. Will I ever absolutely know for sure? No. But I'm pretty sure it's a Winston IM6.

As you can see from the below photos of the rod during the build, it's a handsome rod, indeed! Thank you Ben for sharing these photos of your build progress with me, and most importantly, giving that blank the skilled touch that would please Tom Morgan, himself...


Note: Once Ben convinced me this was indeed a Winston blank, I went through my fly fishing storage shelves and found a Winston sock and tube that fits this IM6 476 custom build. I must say, discovering this blank is a genuine Winston makes for a very happy surprise this year!!!

Click on photo for larger view

Comments

Popular Posts