Test Cast - New Build IM6

In follow up to my Mystery Rod post last week, I can confirm the rod that Ben built out for me has indeed a Winston IM6 blank. Yeah, the color is a tiny bit off from my other Winston IM6 rods, but this new build casts exactly like my other two-piece Winston in the same length.

I packed a two-piece 7'6" 3wt Winston IM6 rod and the newly built 7'6" 4wt IM6 rod (2pc) to the park today and did side-by-side casting with the two rods. For both rods, I used Bauer SST reels spooled up with Rio LightLine fly lines to minimize the variables with the test. The progressive action (flex profile) and tip section while casting each rod felt identical to me...with exception of the 4wt rod being a bit stronger than the 3wt. That's expected. The flex points down to the grip during my test casts with these two rods are the same. 

Yep, this newly built rod is going to be a delight to fish up on Rainy Mountain. Well, I say new...the blank used in this new build is around thirty years old. How fun is that?

Comments

Popular Posts