Rinse...Repeat

Well, the fishing in spring like weather was so much fun yesterday, I went up with a couple of fishing buddies for some more this week. Rich, Neal, and I piled into Rich's SUV and headed up the mountain to see if the Leetle Fellers were still there and wanting to play. And, they did...a little bit. The nymph man had more action than the dry fly guys, but the trout came to the net for all...no skunks!

There were the usual browns and bows in the stream, fighting the urge to take my dry fly. However, I did fool a pretty wild brown so that old Brodin net, with a new C&R basket, had the opportunity to give a trout a hug. Yeah, beautiful mountain, free flowing Rio, and fiesty trout...we were playing in heaven.

Today gave me another opportunity to field test the new (old blank) fly rod. I'm used to fishing these mountain streams with a 2wt or 3wt rod, but this rod is also sensitive and playful with the Leetle Fellers. It for sure makes a nice addition to the creek rods I fish, and it has the plus factor of a beefier butt section for those times I fool a bigger trout. No, I haven't fooled a bigger trout so far this year, but there is always hope. And, I'll have the rod ready for that moment. Self affirmation...yes Mike, it will happen.

It will be interesting to see how spring runoff behaves this year. The mountain is already melting and unless we get a long period of more winter cold and precipitation, the runoff period will be early and short this year. Nothing an angler can do about it, but take opportunities to fish when the streams flows allow for such. I'm thinking it's going to be a great fishing year! Yep, can't ask for anything more than to be in the mountains among the wild anyway...life is good. So, go fish!

Gear: Custom Winston IM6 7'6" 4wt fly rod; Bauer SST4 fly reel; Rio LightLine fly line; Brodin classic wood landing net; Simms sling pack. #14 Black Caddis dry fly, mostly.

Comments

  1. Awesome little brown. We have some spring weather too. I should see if there's any hungry trout on the rim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know when you plan to go sometime, and I'll drive over to join you...

      Delete
    2. Mike, I will.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts