Brodin Net Rescue

There is something about a vintage wood landing net that I find impressive...yeah, it's the craftsmanship. The hours it takes to build these beautiful works of art is significant and why I like to see them saved for future use on trout streams. They should go fishing and not hang on the wall.

Brodin Net company went out of business last year. Actually, the owner retired and closed his business in Costa Rica. They built some beautiful nets in their time, under both their own brand name and for other companies such as Orvis. I'm confident their legacy is going to live on for many more decades. Yep, there are a lot of guys, like me, who enjoy fishing the classic gear. And, these Brodin nets fall into the classic category of enduring design.

Take a look at this old Brodin landing net that I picked up for not much of anything. It was hardly used, if any at all, by the looks of the finish. The net is very light, but that original nylon netting, while looking new, isn't the best material for the health of trout. So, I updated it with a new Fishpond replacement C&R basket. This year, the Brodin net will be going into some beautiful mountain streams where the wild trout live. As it was intended to do when first built decades ago.

Brodin Landing Net: multi-wood construction; Fishpond C&R basket; 20" overall length with a 14" x 7" hoop. A teardrop beauty to my eyes...

Click on photo for larger view

Note: Fishpond's small replacement net is only available in clear.

Comments

  1. I blew it- I did not buy one when the company went out of business. Too cheap I guess. I used all of the familiar excuses that define my money management LOL. The Brodin nets are heirloom quality- congrats on getting and bring that net back to life.
    How did you replace the net? Any way- thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, every now and then an unused Brodin shows up on the auction site for cheap. I paid $20 for this one. Quite the deal. I have paid $150 for them new back a fews years ago. The challenge on these little brookie type nets is...they don't make replacement C&R baskets that fit them. I drop a basket into the hoop to see where the circumference of the basket fits along the hoop and trip it to that point. Fishpond replacement baskets are nice because they include the nylon thread and needle for attachment. There are still deals out there for them...every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, forgot to sign my name...above reply is from me. Mike

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts