Mountain Rios - A Miracle

I often stand in or near a stream at the top of a mountain and just gaze at all the gallons of water flowing by me as it seeks the bottom, running thousands of miles down to the ocean. And, it does this 24 hours each day of year. How can the top of this mountain, where I'm standing, store enough water to expel zillions of gallons of water year round??? No way the snow, ice, and rain during the year can provide this much water running down the mountain side. No way. Must be more to it...

My fishing buddies have heard my half serious opinions of how it seems we have an endless water supply in our mountain to fill the stream beds at a constant flow. I get a lot of looks with one eyebrow lifted when I share my thoughts on the subject matter with them. Mind you, each of my fishing buddies have had very impressive careers in engineering, high-tech observatories, NASA lasers, forestry, national defense, along with various academic degrees up to and including Phd's. I should add...I'm no slouch with education and career achievements either. But still...they're looking at me funny. In a good friend kind of way:)

I know. Very little about my beliefs are based in science. Well, none of it is. It's just that I can't see how what scientists say about water supplies fully explain these streams' constant flows all year long, every year. That's a lot of water coming out of that mountain top!!! I won't go into what my theory is, but will just say the earth's oceans must be an additional source of water supply to the continent's rivers, via deep underground natural structures. Not saying anything more. Heck, I got enough guys laughing at me as it is.

What I do know...it's quite miraculous how nature supplies us with water. And, it's a beautiful gift for a fly fisherman!

Comments

  1. Mike, you have some wonderful streams and fishing buddies. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure do...you guys are the best!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts