Chicken or Egg

I have a couple of ways in how I decide on where to go fishing. Most obvious way is to simply select a trout steam(s) I'm interested in fishing, whether it's a day trip or extended stay adventure. After I make plans for which stream(s) I'll be fishing, I'll select the fly rods for such trips.

But, there's another way I plan too. Sometimes I want to fish certain fly rods that are beautiful classic rods and great fishing tools. These old classics put a lot of joy into a day of trout fishing. Often, I'll select a special pair of rods for a day trip, or three rods for an overnight fly fishing trip...then I'll pick the streams where those rods are a good fit for such waters. Note: I do this a lot.

Last year, I fished 7' 2wt and 3wt fly rods more than any of my rods in other line weights and lengths. They are pretty much perfect for fishing home waters up high on Rainy Mountain. However. This year, I'm going to be visiting some streams where I can fish more often my Winston TMF 8' 4wt and IM6 7'6" 3wt rods. And, I plan to pack my WT 8'6" 5wt rod for more fishing trips too...which will mean more time on larger, open streams.

Yep, looking at different streams this year as a way to put more time on the water with some special rods I really enjoy fishing. Like my MBR 9' 4wt rod. As for those 7' rods that I fished so much last year? Yeah, they will still get plenty of fishing time too...

Click on photo for larger view

Comments

Popular Posts