A Momento

A few days ago, I sat down at my office desk and noticed a new piece of decor sitting on the desktop. I started laughing because I knew my wife was pulling a "funny" on me (a good way).  She heard me and walked into the office laughing and said, "I thought you needed a momento of your fishing trip last summer." Yep, sitting there on the desk was a sculpture of a bear. For those who don't know, I had a bear run in front of the truck and I hit it. I assured her that I would never forget that fishing trip.

Most guys would consider my experiences during that trip a disaster, but despite all the things that went wrong, I enjoyed it much and actually consider it my favorite trip of the year. For as many bad things that happened, there were just as many wonderful experiences that particular week too. What bad things you ask? Well, here's the list:

  • First stop and river I fished, found the winds strengthen and they eventually blew me off the water.
  • Next day, as I was driving to the another campground and river, I was pulled over by the Tribal Police...yep, got a ticket. Note: he was a nice guy!
  • Second river and campsite...I came back to camp after fishing and found someone had stolen my table top Solo Stove. This was the first theft I've ever incurred while camping.
  • Then, a downpour of downpours hit the campground. Forecast showed it wouldn't stop for a few days. So, I packed up and headed home that evening, knowing it would be midnight before arriving there.
  • And lastly, on the way home, a bear running at full speed came over the road and I hit it broadside. Took two hours to deal with State Patrol before continuing on home...in a somewhat state of shock.

One might say it was a bad trip. But, it wasn't actually. I had some amazing fishing on two streams and many tight-line moments with trout. As low as I felt with the negative events, I felt incredible highs and joy while fishing (no drugs or drink). I absolutely loved my time in those beautiful mountains and streams with trout. The classic gear I was fishing were matched perfectly with the environments, cloudy skies to relax the trout, and all them hitting my dry flies hard on top of the water. What's not to like about that!

Funny, when I look back at the trip, I feel it was not only the most memorable of the year, but the most satisfying too. Yeah, and I now have a bear sculpture on my desk to keep the memory alive each day. Thank you, sweetheart!

Click on photo for larger view

Comments

  1. It is a sad commentary when you cannot leave stuff around your campsite w/o having it stolen. I am an avid camper myself, we now put all the stuff we use back in the truck and take it with us as we move about our day. Anglers like to put stickers on their vehicles but it serves as a "notice" that the vehicle may have fish gear in it to take. Many break ins at popular spots. Guts losing expensive gear. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm going to have start doing the same, John...much as I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an older Honda Pilot that has a real handle to lift the back. I now
      take a heavy duty cable and lock, lock the back to the frame of the truck when I go fishing. It is sad that it has come to this......

      Delete
    2. I've been researching hard cases to keep fishing gear in the truck while I'm on the stream...one that I can lock to the back seat frame. Rifle cases seem to be the least expensive way to go...those made for fly rods are too pricey for me.

      Delete
    3. That bear is an awesome memento of your bear trip. You need a toy truck with the bear for demo's on how it happened. It sounds like you had some good luck fishing. But losing your little stove to thieves sucks.

      Delete
    4. Steve, the fishing was really good in a beautiful setting. Sylvia has fun ways to keep me laughing...always happy laughter in the house.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts