And So It Goes

Last year, walking on a single lane forestry road at about 8K high, with a steep drop off to the side, and a view of a creek about 70ft below...I wondered. Why is there a trout down there that is bigger than any I've ever seen in this creek, just treading water? Where I can't get to him! Then another thought. Maybe I can find a way to that spot in the stream and catch Mr. Big?

Yeah, I hiked back down the road to where it drops down closer to the stream. I'm going to hike back up to that big trout along the bush-filled bank of the stream. An hour later, I pulled out my inhaler. Took two puffs. I've been climbing over fallen trees, boulders, and bushwhacking through stream sections to reach this trout that I spotted from the road above. Exhausted, I arrived. I'm kind of surprised that I did it, actually.

The water was gin clear in a small pool made by limbs that had been swept up against a big tree trunk, and was partially damming up the stream. I could see all the way to the stream bed. But. I couldn't see Mr. Big swimming in there. What the hell!!!

I forget how many flies I tied on and drifted through that pool. To no avail. Mr. Big was either gone, or too smart for me. At that moment I was feeling a bit sorry for myself because it was a lot of work just to get there. And, it was going to be even more work to get outa there!!! So, I sat down on a tree trunk lying on the bank and across the river. While sitting there, staring at the empty pool I said to myself, "That's fly fishing, Mike. And, sometimes it doesn't go your way."

It's winter now and I've been thinking about Mr. Big in that mountain creek. Surely, no one has been climbing through all that mess to reach that pool. So, he's most likely to still be there. Even bigger now. Hmmm, it just occurred to me what will be happening this coming summer...


Post Note: This next summer I will have a 6' rod in my hand when I work through this jungle. The 7'6" rod I had last time was just too long and I was fighting the canopy the entire time. My Scott 6' 3wt rod will be perfect for this trout environment.

Comments

Popular Posts