Top Fly Rod - 2023

At the end of each year, I review my fishing journal to see which gear was used most often on my fishing trips. My most used fly rod is sometimes different each year, due to changing stream conditions, and which streams I frequent the most often. But this year? Well, the most used fly rod for 2023 is the same as last year...no surprise, the rod is that good!

Yep, this year, the fly rod most often fished on a trout stream was my Winston WT 7' 2wt fly rod. This classic graphite rod, designed by Tom Morgan, is perfect in many ways for the mountain Rios I enjoy fishing each year. And it's so versatile, in that it casts a WF2 or WF3 equally well, which is one of the reasons I like it so much. Which line I rig up on this rod depends on the stream I'm fishing any given day. This rod is soooo sweet!

Below are some random photos of this WT on a few of the various streams I fished this year...it does fit quite nicely within the trout environments of our beautiful New Mexico streams.

Click on photo for larger view

NOTE: This WT 270 rod is one of my favorites, hence the frequent times it's in the stream with me. The IM6 and WT 7' 2wt fly rods were/are one of the standouts in Tom's iconic series of rods, and I like this rod much. But as a reminder, my favorite fly rod is the Winston TMF 8' 4wt rod. The only reason it was not fished as much as my WT 270 model is because of the type of streams near me. Yeah, if there were more streams near me that fit the TMF, it would be my most fished fly rod each and every year!

Comments

Popular Posts