The GOAT - Winston TMF

Without doubt, in my mind, the "Greatest Of All Time" fly rod is the Winston TMF 8' 4wt rod. It's been in continuous production since 1989 and is still selling strong. I always get excited about fishing my TMF fly rod and look forward to every chance to do so. Nope, I’ll never get tired of this rod.

The length of a TMF at 8' makes it versatile for small stream fishing...long enough for upstream casts to medium ranges and yet short enough for control and accuracy. The length also makes it easy for moving from one spot on the stream to the next. Just wind your dry fly to the tip top, break the rod apart and set it in your back seat for the drive to your next fishing spot...remember, it's a 2-piece rod.

There is something about the TMF that truly sets it apart from other rods in the 8' 4wt class. It has the finesse of a 3wt rod, but with power of the 4wt rods in longer lengths. Whether the stream is holding Leetle Fellers or some 17" Bigguns, the rod will meet your needs, no problem. Note - this is a small stream dry fly rod, for sure!

I haven't settled on a designated fly reel for this rod, just yet. Yes, I should know by now! But, I don't. As you can see in the photos, I have been experimenting with various reels that I borrowed from assigned rod mates. I will have it figured out next year, however. Chances are, it will be the Hardy LRH Lightweight reel making the cut for this iconic fly rod. I do prefer a click check reel, with classic design, for the rod and the small streams I'll be fishing. That's for sure. After time on some streams, I'll know...maybe.

Click on photo for larger view

Comments

  1. TMR 8 for a 4 in NAFF at a great price. Worth a look, in pristine condition

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just now saw it...yeah, that looks pretty minty for the price.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts