Living On The Short Side

When two old guys are driving down the road on the way to a trout stream, the talk is usually on fly fishing, but conversations can also range on any topic from Woodstock to home projects. As we get closer to the mountain, the conversation starts to be all about which streams we want to fish, what rod we plan to rig up, and if we are going to wet wade or use waders. Then on the way home we start talking about when we can fish again. Yep, we old guys are trying to squeeze in as much fishing as we can, while we can.

I must say, things certainly change as you get older. For example, I've noticed through the years that my stream selections have evolved somewhat. Well, evolved may not be the right word. Changed. I don't hike into the wild quite as far as I once did...more and more I'm looking for those pullouts that are next to a stream with a honey hole. And, I've become pretty darn efficient with the amount of effort it requires to catch a trout. No, I'm not at the point of having to use a long handled net in our streams...yet, but there is one particular tiny stream where a long net would be beneficial. Yikes!

Another thing has evolved since I started fly fishing...my duffle bag. Changed. There was a time when I had at least a couple of pairs of waders in that bag. A chest wader and a pant wader. I've noticed I haven't packed those two for a long time now. These days, the only waders I pack are hip waders and they only got wet a couple of times this year. Mud rucker boots...yep, those 15" rubber boots are plenty for most of the streams I fished this year. And, they are a heck of a lot easier to get on and off than those wading boots and waders. I'm not sure, but I may be fishing more small Rios than large rivers just so I can wear those boots and avoid the waders? I say, "so what if I am?" Heck, I'm retired. And, not trying to impress anyone either.

I've also experienced an evolution of fly rods. I used to fish mostly 5wt and 6wt fly rods through the trout seasons. What happened to that? Well, it evolved to fishing more 2wt and 3wt rods. Again, changed is the correct word. A 4wt rod is now the heaviest rod I rig up for fishing, for the most part. Yeah, I've gone from fishing mostly big rivers to fishing small mountain streams...almost exclusively!

When I look back, the changes are pretty significant in how I go about fly fishing in my life today. Have these changes been good for me? Well, yes actually. Most of my life span is behind me now...and, I fully realize I'm now "living on the short side." Yes, I want to get in as much quality living as I can, while I can. Fly fishing does enhance my joy and sense of a full life...that's why I do it. There is something about being on the side of a mountain, fishing a tiny trout stream, that can be almost spiritual. It's peaceful. And, if you can get yourself "in the moment" and allow it, small stream fishing can bring you a calming effect that feels rejunivating throughout your body and soul.

What will I do when I can no longer fly fish? I don't know. Probably something creative. But, right now I'm just going to enjoy life, family, fishing, friends, art, photography, and...writing.

"Now, if I could just get this lock to open...there's fishing to do"

Click on photo for larger view

Comments

Popular Posts