A Breezy Touch

The weather forecast was windy with the high only expecting to be 58 degrees for today. You know what that means? Yep, fishing. I woke up this morning thinking that the forecast just might scare off the tourist (Balloon Fiesta) and locals from exploring the mountain. And, it turns out I was right about that. Lucky me.

As I was driving up the winding mountain road I could see the swirling winds rolling through the tree tops. Well, that ruled out any meadow streams. Especially since I only packed a 3wt fly rod. I needed to pick some spots where the mountain sides and tall ponderosa pines would block the winds enough to cast that light 3wt fly line.

The first place I went turned out to be a fabulous place, with solitude, to wade a stream and drift a fly...and, on my second cast there was a pretty Leetle Feller taking my dry fly. A nice wild brown trout that was pretty as can be. I always sigh a bit of relief when I net the first trout. That little conquest means there will be no 'skunk' to stink up the rest of the day. Turns out, there were several browns and bows that got fooled today. Not having anyone in the stream before me sure helped to insure a day with lots of tight lines. And, I had the streams all to myself. Just me. Yeah, nothing like being the only angler on a trout stream....just a perfect day of fly fishing. Pretty fall colors, a little breeze on the face, and trout coming out to play. Oh yeah!

Gear: Winston IM6 7'6" 3wt fly rod; Trutta Perfetta fly reel; Rio LightLine WF3F; #14 Royal Wulff dry fly.

Click on photo for larger view

Comments

  1. Sounds like a perfect day my friend! Love those SW trout streams on a perfect Autumn day! Nice little setup you haver there as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice indeed, Greg...thanks. We need to find a stream next year to meet and fish!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts