Near Heaven

Rich and I visited a stream that we haven't seen since 2020...it takes a long drive on a rocky, single lane, forestry road winding through the mountain side that is a jaw buster. But, it's worth it. At the end of the road is a high elevation Rio in a beautiful setting, seemingly close to heaven. The water was skinny, gin clear, and with that splashing sound over the riffles to bring music to the ears. I felt like I had a spa day this morning...so relaxing.

On the down side, we didn't see the trout that we are accustomed to, but we enjoyed the day never the less. I rigged up a Winston BIIt 7'6" 3wt and had a blast landing dry flies ever so softly on to this gentle stream. This rod fishes very well with a true to weight fly line and only needs a flick to get the fly to target in these tight, bushy creek environments. Just a blast to cast and tight line a wild little brown trout into the net.

These little Rios don't hold big trout, but the beauty of the environment is all worthwhile to immerse oneself into a healing kind of day. I guess only a small stream fly fisher could understand that. Well, maybe an old fly fisher. Or, an artsy fly fisher. I don't know. You know what I mean...

Gear: Winston BIIt 7'6" 3wt rod; Trutta 3" fly reel; Rio LightLine WF3F line; #14 Black Elk Hair Caddis dry fly.

Click on photo for larger view

Comments

Popular Posts