Camping is Getting Weird...

I just returned home from a camping trip up on the mountain. Rich and I went for a short one night camp and fishing trip to chase some trout. We did a lot of chasing. The weather was hot without a cloud in the sky while we were fishing our streams...of course, this wasn't the preferred conditions we were hoping for. With warm, gin clear water, bright sky, and skinny waters, we were working hard to get a bite. And we did get the hits. We didn't tight line as many trout as usual, but we did net some browns and bows.

Just so you know, I'm hoping to sleep like a rock tonight! Last night was weird. Period. From 10:00pm to 1:00am, I kept waking up to vehicles' running engines, slamming doors, and voices near my tent. Then it was quiet for about an hour, and all of a sudden more noises nearby. At 2:30am I decided to see what the heck was going on and went outside for a look. A bright spotlight hit me in the face coming from further up in the campground. Then two Rangers drove down to our site and asked me if I had called in a 911. Nope. Not me or my fishing buddy (Rich still in his tent sleeping). They asked me a couple more questions and then left.

I was now wide awake and curious, so I stayed outside to watch the event. After a short while, more flashing lights resulting in two Ranger trucks and three Ambulances at the campground entrance. And, then a State Police car pulls in and begins a conversation with the Rangers. This is getting interesting. Surprise...I got a spot light pointed at me again. I was amazed how many bright, white lights are on a patrol car as he started coming my way. He walked up to me and asked if I knew a certain person. I did not. He then said that he now knew that the campsite up a few sites was who they were looking for. He wanted me to understand that they got a 911 call from a woman in a nearby village regarding a man who was camping in this campground. She told them he has a tent with a blue base and silver top. He pointed to my tent to explain their interest in me. Yep, I was a person of interest (POI). For a while.

Immediately, they all converged on the other campsite and were there for a couple of hours before finally leaving the area. From what all the neighbor campers could gather, the camper of interest had a couple of young girls with him and all of us were guessing their mother called in the complaint. Yep, the Trooper took those girls home!

Well, keeping with the purpose of the blog...it was a fishing trip, despite the early morning surprise. Below are some random photos of our two days on the mountain. We managed to fish three streams, with a few trout going into the net. I'm happy with that!

Gear: Sage X 376 fly rod; Sage Click fly reel; Rio LightLine WF3F line; Assorted dry flies with a #16 Royal Wulff being the star.

Click on photo for larger view

Note: Many of my friends know I usually sleep in my truck camper when camping for only one or two nights. Well, my truck is wrecked from hitting a bear on my last camping trip. It's waiting repair. My wife (Sylvia) didn't want me sleeping in our little Jeep Patriot, so she bought me this small tent (blue and silver). It's really nice and I like it. However, after what has happened on a few of my camping trips this year, she's starting to question whether I should do this anymore (just kidding). Yeah, camping has been weird this year!

Maybe the coolest thing that happened on this trip is Rich spotting the "String of Pearls" shooting across the sky last night. Now that is an amazing thing to see!!! Google it...

Comments

  1. Yep that sounds like a weird night to have in a campground. Your luck will change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, I think the world is going crazy. I'm going to start searching for a new peaceful place to stay, right on a river...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts