Morning Time Boo

I woke up at 3:30am this morning and was wide-eyed awake. With no hope of returning to a sleeping  state, I got up and made coffee and read the news. And then it hit me, why not go up early to Rainy Mountain to get in a few hours of fishing, before the afternoon rain clouds roll over the mountain peaks. Turns out, it was a fabulous idea.

Oh man, the temperatures were so nice, with a light breeze through the morning. The gauge in the truck went from 68 to 73 degrees on the drive up the mountain. With the partly cloudy sky and cool breeze, I was in heaven. Something about the conditions had the trout the most active I've seen all year. I could hardly keep them off my dry fly. At late morning, I actually started limiting how often I would drop a fly into the water, and turned my focus to the surrounding environment...you know, taking it all in and enjoying the moment.

I decided to make this a boo day and kick back with a relaxed style of fishing as I was packing the fishing bag with gear in the early morning hours. Glad I did because the Leetle Fellers put some nice bends on the 3wt rod...and a few trout were stealing line and causing that reel to sing me a song. What a nice morning it was. Yeah, very nice!

Gear: Bamboo 6'9" 3wt fly rod; Leland Golden Trout reel; Borger DT3F fly line; #12 and #16 Black Elk Hair Caddis dry flies.

Click on photo for larger view

Comments

Popular Posts