Goodbye Brodin

I suppose if one lives long enough, you will see a favorite brand name close shop and become just a memory. And, if you happen to have an item of their's, it's a reminder of good things that are no longer available. I'm talking specifically about the Brodin net company. They are no more. After 43 years, they have retired and closed the shop.

Their nets are absolutely the best for us small stream anglers. At one time, they made nets down to 14" in length for scooping up small brookies in tiny mountain streams. I'm fortunate to have a couple of vintage Brodin brookie nets that are 14" and 18" in length, with craftsmanship second to none. Sorry, but you just can't find nets in this size being made in USA today, for some reason.

Brodin nets were made in Costa Rica and served the Amercian market for decades. A small shop with only six employees, Brodin chose Costa Rica for their manufacturing because of the region's availability of well figured hardwoods...and the hard work ethic of the people living there.

You know those beautiful wooden Orvis nets we admire on their website? They are made by Brodin. I suppose Orvis will need to find a new source if they want to keep selling world class nets made from hardwoods.

Yep, my Brodin nets will have to last me through the rest of my fishing days....and they will.

Comments

Popular Posts