Fly Reel - Solid Back

I've always liked the aesthetics of a fly reel with a solid back plate. I don't know. It just looks right. Surprises me actually that there aren't more reels designed with a solid back plate because it is such a classic and classy design. Sitting here writing this post, I'm trying to think of a reel being made today, in the USA, with such a design feature. Nope, I can't think of any. Send me a note if you know of one.

It's seems to me the reel companies are getting too creative with extreme porting and have lost their way with a narrow focus to keep up with the competition. There are just too many ordinary products coming out of the fly fishing industry. What's for the consumer to get excited about? Maybe it's because the entrepreneurs who founded the companies are no longer there and their vision/purpose has died. Or, maybe my sense of design excellence is a fad of the past? Hmmmm, I refuse to believe that...

Posted below are some classic reels sporting a solid back plate. The current reels are all foreign made while the US made reels are "out of production" models. Wish a US reel company could "see the light" and once again build something classy for us small stream anglers. That's likely not to happen. So yeah, I'll just keep using the old models.

Click on photo for larger view

Comments

Popular Posts