Exploring

I'm back from exploring new trout waters that have somehow escaped me all these years. I have some friends who have camped and fished this stream, and yeah, I was curious. So, this was the week to check it out. Glad I did.

The campground just became one of my favorites, and I was fortunate to get a site near the trailhead that takes you up to the trouty sections of the stream. Rich and I met at the campground and set up our camp, had lunch (PBJ), and then rigged up for some fishing fun. I was guessing a 2wt rod was all I needed based on friends suggestions and everything I read about the stream. Yep, the 7' 2wt rod worked out perfectly.

We hiked up the mountain for more than two miles before we started floating a fly...just because that's what everyone told me and what I read when researching the area for fly fishing. Let me say, this place is beautiful. A spectacular setting for a canyon stream holding wild trout. Hiking into the area is the tough part. It's all up the mountain side for two miles. I don't know how many feet we climbed up in elevation on that trail, but I do know the campground sits at 8900 feet. Thin air and hiking up a constant elevation for a couple miles takes some effort for this guy, who is in his senior years. But, well worth it....beautiful landscapes, pretty trout, and it was absolutely good for the soul being in that part of the world.

This was an exploration trip, so I only planned for one night in the campground. However, I will be back for a longer stay next time...for more camping and fishing this area of wonderful New Mexico.

Gear: Winston WT 7' 2wt fly rod; Trutta fly reel; Winston Energy WF2F fly line; 14 Black Caddis dry fly.

Click on photo for larger view

Update: It's been four days since hiking up this mountain...and, I'm still sore and recovering.

Comments

Popular Posts