Just Kiss the Water

There are some well known fly fishermen and authors who do not like fishing with light-line fly rods. I'm talking about 2 and 3 weight fly rods mostly. They prefer fishing with heavier lines even when fishing a short fly rod. I'm guessing their preference for 4 to 5 weight lines is because they want to rig their rods up with various types of flies/rigs as the stream conditions demand. You know, streamers and nymph rigs and such. Their preferences make sense to me considering how they fish, including weighted rigs.

I've heard a few claim it's safer for the trout when using a heavier line because they can land the fish much faster than possible with a light-line rod. Hmmm...no, that reason doesn't fly with me. I can land a fish just as fast with a 1wt or 2wt rod. But, they are entitled to their opinion. As am I...

However, I can't help but wonder if they were dry fly only fisherman, and they fished on my tiny mountain Rios...would they have a different view about light-line rods? I just know when I'm fishing a small dry fly with a 2wt rod, I'm having nothing but fun. And, I find there are some good reasons to fish a light line.

The most important reason? Spooky trout. When I'm fishing a 2wt rod, I can cast a dry fly out to the intended target, land the fly softly, and then let the fly line fall to the water's surface with a 'gentle kiss'...and, with barely a ripple. Without a doubt in my mind, the light touch of a 2wt rod is helpful when going after those spooky Leetle Fellers.

Gear: Winston WT 8' 2wt fly rod; Trutta Perfetta 3" fly reel; Winston Energy WF2F fly line; #16 Black Elk Hair Caddis dry fly.

Comments

Popular Posts