Afternoon Delight

Sylvia and I decided this morning we would divide and conquer today...each doing the thing they love. That means Sylvia doing her docent thing at the Zoo, and Mike doing his fly fishing thing up on Rainy Mountain.

I got away around 1:30pm to time my arrival for the late afternoon hatch on one of my tiny mountain Rios. Yep, the bugs were buzzing everywhere and the cloud cover was perfect. On my third cast, a wild brown hit my dry fly and the fishing fun was off to a great start. I fished at three different locations on the mountain and was successful in fooling the Leetle Fellers at each stream. The trout were on average a bit larger than usual for these streams and ranged from 10 to 12 inches...a very good day.

The gear I was using was an ultra light Winston IM6 6'6" 2wt fly rod with a Winston Perfect reel locked into it. The reel was spooled up with a new Winston Energy WF2F fly line and it matched perfectly with that old classic IM6 rod. This is an awesome rod/reel combo for these mountain streams, and I was having a blast putting the bend on the rod. Have you ever heard a Winston Perfect reel when a mad wild brown is stealing line from the spool? Oh my.....a sweet song it is.

Gear: Winston IM6 6'6" 2wt fly rod; Winston Perfect 2 7/8" fly reel; Winston Energy WF2F fly line; #12 Tan Elk Hair Caddis dry fly.

Click on photo for larger view

Comments

Popular Posts