Testing...And Fishing

What may be the sweetest rod I own is still causing me to wonder if I have been fishing it with the optimum line? The rod is a 6'6" IM6 2wt fly rod and is most likely one of the rarest and special rods in my quiver. I've been fishing it with an old Orvis Wonderline WF2F and it works fine. But for those who know me, I tend to test lines until the perfect match is found. I haven't actually done that with this rod because the Orvis line did work quite well...but, what if there is a line that's even better?

The rod went up to Rainy Mountain today to test another fly line. The line is an old Orvis Superfine line that was a new old stock (NOS) when I spooled it up about three years ago on this Bauer SST3 reel. This line probably dates back to around 2005 when the Superfine fly rods were still in their prime. I have to say, it performed nicely and made for an enjoyable day of fishing for those Leetle Fellers that reside up there. This makes the third line I have tested on the rod and they all work fine with no line a clear winner all but with different personalities. I think the Rio Lightline may have an edge on the other two, however. Next line to test on the rod will be a Winston Energy WF2F line.

Yeah, testing a line in the real world environment is the best way to find a perfect combo...and, I get to enjoy tight lines with wild browns!

Click on photo for larger view

Comments

Popular Posts