Wading Mountain Creeks

Oh yeah, it's getting close to summer and getting to wade into those beautiful mountain Rios for trout. I have three ways I wade these streams. Before the water is warm enough for me to wet wade, I like to use hip waders and wading boots. I have used Chota hip waders for several years now and they are great (and cheap) because of the ease to put on or take off the waders...much easier than pant or chest waders. And, with hip waders I have all my pant pockets available for access while fishing. I match these Chota hip waders with SoftScience Terrapin wading boots (no longer available). This wading combination is pretty much perfect for wading my streams, helping to keep things simple and easy to gear up for fishing.

Speaking of easy. When streams start getting low in the summer, I like the convenience of slipping on a pair of 15" rubber boots. Just slip them on, rig up the rod, and walk into a stream. And yes, they are tall enough to work just about any stream that flows throughout Rainy Mountain. This is my favorite way to wade a mountain Rio. The only thing difficult about these boots is pulling them off my feet at the end of day. But, I solved that chore with a boot wedge that I always take along for that little job.

And then there is wet wading. I wet wade during the heat of the summer wearing my SoftScience wading boots that are light as a feather and the most comfortable shoe I own. The boots are over the ankle which helps protect my ankles against bumps and bruises with boulders in the stream bed. It's a shame these water boots are no longer available...they are just perfect for fishing the little Rios.

Wading staff? Yes, I do use one on select streams…I fish a few places with stream beds full of bowling ball boulders where a wading staff is essential. I keep a Patagonia staff in the the truck for such occasions.

Having different wading gear options is a nice way to stay comfortable within each of the different seasons of trout fishing. And, just a reminder...BE SURE to wash off your wading boots when you get back home to help keep evasive species out of our Southwestern streams.

Click on photo for larger view

Comments

Popular Posts