Just One Black Caddis

After a fun week seeing the beautiful landscapes of New Mexico last week, I woke up this morning in the mood for fly fishing. I quickly checked the pack to see if the essentials were there. Stuck one fly box in my shirt pocket. Grabbed my old faithful WT 7' 3wt rod, a SST3 reel, and I was off for a day of fishing.

When I got to the stream, everything looked great for a good day of fishing. Bugs were flying everywhere. The sky was perfect with just a few patches of blue showing between the clouds. And, the stream flow was  great with a stained hint of tea. I couldn't ask for better fishing conditions.

The wild brown trout were active and when I got to the point of not caring if I hooked another fish, I turned around and started fishing my way back to the truck. A funny thing happed on my way back. I was casting a line into a seam of a run, when I heard strange grunting noises behind me. I could tell there was suffering and strain accompanying those grunts and I turned around to find a guy half way up a vertical rock wall...he was stuck in one place. I watched for a while and then left him with his buddy to figure things out. Yeah, I have always preferred being on solid ground.

Gear: Winston WT 7' 3wt fly rod; Bauer SST3 fly reel; Black Elk Hair dry fly all day (same one).

Click on photo for larger view

Comments

  1. Beautiful pics mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was one of those days when all was good, Steve. Doesn't happen all that often, but I'm sure thankful when it does....

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts