Run to the Border

With small stream fishing on pause due to runoff, its up to the border we go for a couple of days of fishing the Juan. I shared with Ben (Flat Creek Rods) that I was going up to San Juan for a couple of days. He winced and asked if I was aware how bad the water conditions were and that the fishing wasn't too good at the moment. I, in fact, hadn't heard that...but mentioned something like, I need to have some time on a river drifting a fly. Despite the heads up from Ben, my two buddies (Neal and Rich) and I went in search of trout and discovered...wait for it...the fishing to be very slow due to murky waters. Often walking up to river sections we would encounter anglers walking out shaking their heads and saying, “it’s not good today.”

Well, everyone was right. SLOW. I managed to get one big ol’ rainbow halfway into the net before he broke off and leaped out of the net into the water, reclaiming his freedom. And, we had a few tight line moments during our two days of fishing. I'm thinking my absence from this river has made me a bit rusty. Whether it was rusty skills or the effective fighting capability from the trout, it doesn’t matter....result is no pics of a trout in the bottom of the net. I have to say though, it was beautiful weather and I enjoyed wading the river these past two days. Yeah, we all say that when fishing isn't too good.

Gear: Winston BIIIx 8'6" 5wt rod; Bauer SST5 reel; AirFlo SuperDri fly line; Every fly in the fly box and kitchen sink (not really).

And guess what? I have already accessed my calendar to search for open times...and a return trip. A revenge trip! Well, not really revenge. Just a second chance.

Click on photo for larger view

Comments

Popular Posts