IM6 Refresh

My classic 1997 IM6 rod just got a beautiful refresh from Ben at Flat Creek Rods. If you're looking for someone to build a custom rod for you or if you're in need of some repair work, Ben is someone you can trust...impressive work, indeed.

I bought this rod several years ago with the intent to upgrade the reel seat. The rod maker used a very creative reel seat that I always intended to change, to have the 'Winston Build' that my eye is accustomed to. Yeah, I put it off for a few years because I was enjoying fishing the rod. Just so happens, this very rod caught my 'personal best brown trout’ in the 3wt rod category. Here is what Winston said about this model in their 1997 catalog:

3-Weight - These are special purpose light Trout rods which are very effective for careful presentations at short to medium distances with little to no wind. A good choice for smaller rivers and spring creeks.

As you can see from the photo, the 7' 6" 3wt looks as it should and I'm very happy with this reel seat and handle. Now it looks as good as it fishes. Yep, I need to go back to that stream up on the border and see if that big ol' brown trout is still there...

Comments

  1. Mike, I found this rod for sale on Classic FlyRod website in the classifed section. Take a look. I thought of you and your love of older Winstons.
    Winston IM6 8 1/2’ 4wt 3pc. w/Zebrawood reel seat. Serial no 59696, built in January 1998. Rod comes with original tube and sock.
    $475 shipped

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up, John. I'll go take a look. Actually, the very first classic Winston I acquired several years ago, was a 8'6" 4wt Winston WT with a maple spacer. It's a very smooth rod....I took a dunk with that rod in the Chama River and put a couple of light scratches in it. Urrrg!!!!

      Delete
    2. John, after looking at the photos in the classified post, I think my WT is in better condition...probably better to keep what I have. Thanks for the tip, though. Appreciate it....

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts