Trout & Rod Story

About four years ago I took a trip up to a northern New Mexico stream to meet Rich for some camping and fishing fun. This stream was known for Rio Grande Cutthroats and a couple of other trout species scattered throughout a few miles of the river. I had my mind set to catch some natives and call it a good trip.

When I arrived, Rich and his son were at the campsite already. They had their camper set up and were in their waders fishing the stream along the campsite. I walked over while they were drifting some bugs and we started talking about how the fishing was going for them. Seemed it was really slow at the moment. As we were talking a big hatch developed and there were mayflies flying thick in the air. Yep, that was my clue to rig up a rod. I can't remember if it was my first or second cast, but I caught a rainbow right away and then a couple more. I didn't really know at that moment, but it was a 'sign' for things to come.

I will probably never have another experience like this trip. You see, in one afternoon, I managed to net five different species of trout through a four mile stretch of stream. Yeah, a fishing story...but true. The trout species? Here you go: Rio Grande Cutthroat; Brown Trout; Rainbow Trout; Brook Trout; Cuttbow Trout. The browns and rainbows I caught near the camp were small, but still yet, they count as a catch. It was thrilling for me and a day I will not forget. Confession...I got pretty snockered at the campfire that evening while celebrating the day.

Another cool thing about that trip is Brian, my neighbor, loaned me his 9' 4wt Sage LL rod. It's a fabulous rod that has a sensitive tip and power to fish for both leetle fellers and the big chunks of trout. I had a blast casting single dry flies with this classic rod. What makes this fishing trip even more memorable for me? Well, Brian passed that rod on to me as a gift the other day...yes, I will treasure it always for two reasons: Brian being a special friend, neighbor, and fishing buddy over the years; and that rod being part of, most likely, a once in a lifetime fishing experience.

Fly fishing creates such rich memories...

Click on photo for larger view

Comments

  1. That's as nice a gift as any friend could give. I think rich knew how much you would treasure that 490 LL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice gift, indeed. For clarity, it was Brian who gifted the rod...a generous man who knows me well.

      Delete
  2. As I remember that trip, Dylan and I thought we were on a roll until you showed up and put us to shame. Ha ha! I also remember taking off after we fished that upper stream area and, unbeknownst to us, we left you up there having to change a tire. You had us worried. I think that contributed to your overindulging…. aah memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right after I got back from the trip, I change tire brand and got all new tires. I haven't had one problem with these all-terrain tires. Wish I had done that long before then...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts